Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Speaking of Food ...

Residents and Visitors to Tampa Bay's Gulf Beaches have a myriad of choices when it comes to restaurants and grocery stores. The following are my personal observations, not influenced by advertising dollars as no restaurants or grocery currently advertises on my web sites.

SUSHI ... When I get Sushi cravings, I head to KiKu on Clearwater Beach. Upstairs in the Pelican Plaza at 483 Mandalay Avenue, Master Sushi Chef Daniel has developed a strong following of locals, and "Blending a unique fusion of East meets West Coast Japanese fare, Kiku brings an innovative approach in Japanese cooking to Clearwater Beach and Tampa Bay in an upscale, urban environment."
NOTE: Closed on Sundays!

GREEK ... Just opened in August, Greektown Grille at 1230 Cleveland St (East of downtown Clearwater) quickly became my favorite for Greek cuisine. Operated by the Karamountzos family, restaurant veterans, I predict a bright future for this establishment.

When I'm looking for dinner in Tampa's Ybor district, I head to 1833 E. 7th Ave. and the Acropolis Greek Taverna. Outside seating lets the diner enjoy the cooler days and warm evenings we often enjoy, while inside diners can enjoy the Greek music and dancing.

SEAFOOD ... There are many seafood restaurants in this area, but like many locals, I have my favorites.

Keegans Seafood Grille at 1519 Gulf Blvd. in Indian Rocks Beach was featured on the Food Channel's "Diners, Dives & Drive-ins" a couple of years ago. Now with a new owner, the menu is a bit more varied, but still features quality offerings for lunch or dinner in a relaxed atmosphere.

A bit North of Keegan's at 1701 Gulf Blvd. is Guppy's on the Beach Grill & Bar featuring an upscale environment and menu, with great outside dining plus inside seating for inclement weather.

Belleair Bluffs is home to one of my favorite seafood establishments ... Bonefish Grill (2939 W Bay Dr). Although part of a chain, the service, food, and ambiance never fails to please.

GROCERY STORES... Now that Publix has replaced my local Albertsons in Belleair Bluffs, I find myself driving to the Albertsons in Largo Mall to take advantage of their Weekend Specials and generally lower Sale Prices. I also found that the Sweetbay Supermarket at 10370 Seminole Blvd, Largo has an excellent selection at competitive prices in a modern store.

For Fresh Fish I head to Wards Seafood Market at 1001 Belleair Road, Clearwater. With two close by Produce Markets - one attached and one across the street - this can be one stop shopping.

Closer to my home and the beaches is Surf and Turf Market at 2900 West Bay Drive in Belleair Bluffs - an excellent source of Meat, Fish, and Gourmet Foods.

This list is in no way a complete list of all the good establishments in the Tampa Bay Gulf Beaches area ... and the fact someone may have been omitted does not imply they should be passed over.

Looking for a place to stay at the Beach during the Holidays or the Superbowl? Check out the Florida Vacation Rental Guide